At HeartSpace we are open to and supportive of collaboration between healing disciplines. If you would like to refer a patient to HeartSpace for naturopathic care or cranio-sacral therapy, you are welcome to provide our contact information to the patient so that he or she can schedule an appointment. Any copies of medical records can be confidentially faxed to 410-773-9432.
Dr. Emily is always delighted to welcome providers to visit HeartSpace and tour our natural health dispensary. To request business cards or to arrange a meet and greet, please email or call our Office Manager, Linda at 443-961-7411.
NDs are doctorate-level, medically trained health care providers who emphasize disease prevention and patient empowerment while using low-cost and minimally-invasive natural therapies to support healing.
NDs attend a 4-year, post-baccalaureate, graduate-level program at one of five accredited naturopathic medical schools in the U.S. The 4,000 hour doctoral program includes: a strong emphasis in the basic medical sciences and clinical diagnostic skills, extensive training in naturopathic modalities such as nutrition, herbal medicine, homeopathy, physical medicine and counseling, and over 1,500 hours of direct patient care training. After completing the Naturopathic Physicians Licensing Exam (NPLEX) Parts I and II, NDs are then eligible for licensure.
The naturopathic licensure law permits NDs to:
- Diagnose and treat health conditions using case-taking, physical examination and laboratory testing
- Order diagnostic imaging studies and interpret the reports of the studies
- Dispense and order natural medicines including nutrients, vitamins, botanical medicines and homeopathics
- Perform naturopathic physical medicine including hydrotherapy, therapeutic exercise and naturopathic musculoskeletal mobilization
No, NDs are not permitted to prescribe pharmaceutical medications under the current law. A multi-disciplinary Naturopathic Formulary Council is being established to review what types of pharmaceuticals NDs may be able to prescribe in the future.
Naturopathic doctors are not currently able to contract with insurance providers in Maryland and are considered out-of-network providers. All services and fees are paid for out-of-pocket. Upon request Dr. Emily can provide you with a fee slip which you can submit to your insurance provider for possible coverage. Medicare and Medicaid do not cover naturopathic care in Maryland. Standard laboratory testing ordered by Dr. Emily is generally covered by insurance unless the patient has Medicare or Medicaid.
At HeartSpace we have a collective mission to extend loving kindness to those we serve by first cultivating that compassionate healing presence within ourselves. By modeling the self-care practices that we encourage for our patients and clients, we offer a deep level of authenticity that carries through the therapeutic relationship.
Consider referring individuals who:
- Are managing multiple chronic health concerns such as allergies, digestive disorders, fatigue, arthritis, chronic pain or autoimmune disease along with mental health concerns such as anxiety and depression.
- Have not responded well to traditional allopathic therapies or have exhausted treatment options.
- Are interested in preventative medicine and taking a proactive approach to their healthcare.
NDs support adults and children with a wide range of acute and chronic health concerns including (but not limited to):
- Anxiety and depression
- Autoimmune diseases
- Chronic pain
- Digestive disorders
- Metabolic syndrome
- Pre- and post-menopausal symptoms
Yes. After practicing in the Baltimore area for over a decade, Dr. Emily has cultivated trusted referral relationships with physicians, acupuncturists, psychotherapists, physical therapists and other healthcare practitioners in the community.
“Dr. Emily treats her patients with the utmost care and is endlessly compassionate. Her genuine concern about her patients’ wellness is evident by the focus and attention she offers during appointments. Even her follow-up emails make you feel truly cared for.” – K.C.